23 September 2011

Rudolph Hooker -- No T.V ?

There are times when things happen on the Cut that take you by surprise. They are so bizarre as to make you wonder as to whether the incident really happened or was just a fleeting vision during an afternoon nap.

The other day I heard a narrowboat underway, about half an hour before nightfall, travelling at a fair pace with two voices shouting "No, No" at regular intervals. Intrigued, I opened my side doors to see a hire boat approaching at speed. The No's were coming from a chap stood in the well deck. It was only as the boat sped past that I realised what was happening. One of the crew was looking at the T.V , which was only showing noise, and was relaying the picture quality to the man on the front deck. He in turn relayed the information to the tiller person. One presumes that, once a decent picture became available they would drop anchor, tie up or something. They seemed somewhat distraught so I assume their favourite soap had already started!

Mooring by T.V reception! Perhaps that why you see hire boats scattered all over the place? I suppose it takes all sorts......