14 June 2011

Rudolph Hooker -- Drying Out?

Whilst cruising about on the Mucky Duck, like one does, I had a trip up the Ashby canal via the Coventry. As regular readers will know one of the mainstays of my life afloat is finding a good canalside pub for a pie and pint ( plural surely... Matt) at lunchtime. Logistically this is becoming more difficult and as far as I am concerned a way of life is threatened. Mine!

Many of the canalside pubs I used to frequent, the Bull's head at Polesworth, The Kings Head at Atherstone and the Horse & Jockey Congerstone (Ashby Canal) no longer open at lunchtimes. the reason for this are various.

Congerstone is now a dormitory village and there is no one there during the day. House prices are such you need (at least) two incomes to live there. Atherstone is regarded as bandit country, so no one dare moor up. The Bull at Polesworth suffered through lack of custom 3 seasons of the year. These are not the only places to suffer this fate. I fear I detect a trend here.

So there you have it, first the canals loose their commercial traffic, then they become "dry" during the day, like North Wales on a Sunday. Ye Gods.......