13 October 2011

Ms D. Vine -- Horn Blowing

On leaving Autherley Junction around a month ago on my narrowboat I was reprimanded by another boater for having a "feeble horn". It appears I was guilty of sounding the wrong number of blasts too.

My crew person was in hysterics. She said she'd never known me be associated with a feeble horn before! It was no surprise, therefore that a couple of weeks later a parcel arrived containing twin air horns. Not just common or garden air horns either. You can select 1 of 15 "tunes" for them to play at the touch of a button. Yesterday I left the Staffs & Worcs at Gt Haywood and joined the Trent & Mersey with a rousing rendition of "Colonel Bogey". Splendid!

It is now standard procedure the day prior to reaching a junction, to call a meeting of the horn committee. There we decide the most suitable tune to accompany our exit / entrance. Authentic canal procedure? Not at all, but everyone's aware of our presence and it gets a laugh.